Sunday, May 2, 2010

Podcasting with Primary School Students

PODCASTING




I heard about 'podcasting'4 years ago, when I first attended Learning@School Conference in 2007. One of the breakouts (workshops) was about podcasting and the presenter was Allanah King who is now the deputy principal at Appleby School in sunny Nelson.



Visit her 'podomatic'-----------------> http://allanah.podomatic.com/


Although her presentation and the podcasts that she made with her students were amazing and 'wow'ed all the people there, I couldn't really see its uniqueness, usefulness or effectiveness (until now actually). I personally think video-clips are far better as it's the combination of 'visual' features and 'sounds'. When you can produce a video-clip so easily, (it is so simple these days to make a video clip with your digital camera and it is also easy to upload it on 'teacher-tube' or 'youtube' to use it on your wiki, blog or school website) why would you want to make 'podcasts'?

Hmmmmm...


There gotta be something about podcast that I don't know yet... I think I should read more about podcasting and try to make one with my children, before I say more...

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you can see some benefits in podcasting. The thing I like best about them is that children get to 'craft' their voices. A bit like you might do with draft writing. Get the ideas right and then think about what you might do to make it better- better vocabulary, better construction, better delivery.

    Then you can re-record or edit out the rubbish.

    The final podcast- or audio- is published then for others to give feedback on- to better improve it for next time.

    Being a podcast is then easily shared on an iPod to take home for sharing with parents who may not have a computer of the internet.

    Remember I am still here to lend a hand if you would like more help with the podcasting experience.

    All the best

    Allanah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! '0'
    How did you know about my blog?
    I hope I didn't offend you by my thoughts.
    I haven't actually tried podcasting with my children but I think I will definitely try it soon.
    I really like your idea about 'crafting'. :)
    Thanks for your reply!

    ReplyDelete

 
 
Copyright © Karen An's e-Journal
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com